I love making homemade bread.
And I love trying out new recipes …
And mixing recipes/strategies, to find the best, easiest, and most enjoyable for me.
Today, we have a new recipe on the go AND I’m using my cast-iron bread pans for the first time as well.
Here we go:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 pkg dry yeast
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
- 2 cups hot water
- 3 tbsp shortening (the hot water will help melt the shortening)
- let the dough sit. 10 minutes, an hour, 3 hours, 5 hours.. whatever you want/need
- this gives you time to do other things besides bread-sit and it lets you proceed in a timely manner to have the fresh bread ready for the next meal
- (it’s rather cool in my house today so I put the dough in the oven with the oven light on for heat)
- 3-4 cups flour
- let rise for an hour
- Divide into loaves
- divide and shape the dough into two loaves
- put into greased (cast iron) loaf pans
- let rise for one hour
- bake in 400F oven for 10 minutes on middle rack
- then lower temperature to 350F for 25-30 minutes, rotating pans after 15 min.
- flip bread onto cooling rack to cool
- as soon as you can/want .. you gotta have a taste test with hot bread and melting butter mmmmm
- And then make more bread because these two are almost gone already!
- Do you have a favourite bread recipe?